[argyllcms] Re: Eye-one and DTP94 using dispcal

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:50:47 +1000

Martin Weberg wrote:

DTP94 and i1pro, in this case (still different manufacturers). Or is
i1display and DTP94 internally the same?

I think they are of different origin.

But, shouldn't this be corrected for at factory calibration, one might
think?

If there are optical differences between instruments, then this doesn't
help. You could get two instruments to agree perfectly with
one setup (one emission spectrum and angular distribution),
and have them disagree with on some other display that has
a different spectrum and angular distribution (or in the case
of an LCD, a different polarization). I have no idea what the
long term drift is either. Unlike the black level or reflective
instrument calibration, there is no simple way to ensure emissive
calibration, since a stable reference source is expensive.

I'm curious. What is a calibration factor? What is measured, in what units?

For this type of calibration it's simply a scale factor.

The units are the Y value in cd/m^2.

DTP94 LCD               1032.03
DTP94 CRT               996.59

Is this the Argyll or GM driver readings?

It doesn't matter for the DTP94, since these are literally the
numbers the instrument produces (ie. unlike the i1's, it has a fully
"cooked" interface and spits out the XYZ as ASCII strings. If you run
with the -D option, you can even see them).