[argyllcms] Re: Devicelink Black Generation

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:39:49 +1000

Fabrizio Levati wrote:
Anyway, to make things clearer, what I tried to describe is the typical scenario
that you will find in many printing plants. Usually the printer receive files
prepared for a specific printing process (for example webcoated) and has to
print a completely different kind of product (for example a low cost
advertising magazine on standard newsprint paper-press). The first answer
to this kind of needs is to use a devicelink profile to perform a repurposing.
This will assure the best results in term of colour accuracy but will lead to
different problems. For example, not preserving pure BLACK text will result
in mis-registration problems during the print run. For the primaries, the
problem is similar because the customer prefer a slightly different colour in
a 0C 100M 100Y 0K text instead of seeing an halftoned text where it wasn't
supposed to be.

It is an interesting problem, and I think what collink is currently
capable of is a step in the direction of solving it, but not the complete
answer.

See how you go with the -fk option of V1.0.2 when I get around to
releasing it.