[argyllcms] Re: Eizo Internal LUT access with Argyll?

  • From: Sam Berry <samkberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:40:35 +0200

It's also worth noting that regardless of gradation precision, in-monitor
gamut transformation requires linearisation, which means that the monitor
must know the input tone curve. A calibration done with LUTs before this
stage means that any linearisation performed can only be an approximation.
The calibration will also need to be redone for each gamut transformation
selection.

It should also be noted that modern internal LUT monitors (inc Eizo now)
feature 3D LUTs which allow printer colour spaces to be emulated, and I am
not aware of any graphics card with similar features at this time. A well
specified tone curve is essential for this emulation to be meaningful, and
once you have monitor communication too specify it, you may as well use
internal LUTs too.

Sam Berry