[argyllcms] Re: Determining TIL

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:06:59 +0300

Martin Weberg wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm profiling a CMYK printer using it's own RIP and linearisation
> tool. FYI, it's a matte paper and I'm using v1.0.4
>
> To determine TIL for profiling I used to do this:
> xicclu -fif -a -lx profile.icc
> Inputting 0 0 0 and decrease x until L value increases.
>
> Now, this printer/paper combination gave a TIL at 200%.
>
> Then, I tried a different approach using:
> iccgamut -ff -ia -lx profile.icc
> Decreasing x until reported gamut volume decreases.
>
> This gamut volume approach gave a TIL around 290% (442585 ccu)
> Trying -l200 gave 426403 ccu only 3.5% less volume, maybe no problem.
>
> Looking at the gamuts, using TIL 200% sacrifices colours laying
> between the gamut black point and secondary colours. Because of this,
> the gamut approach suits me better. Have anybody else tried this?
> Comments?
>
> Martin Weberg

Martin! It's almost exactly what I do at last 2 days! :)
I do:

iccgamut -pj -dpp -lx profile.icc

Mention must be note, that I use ArgyllCMS linearization and apply the
calibration to the profile (applycal). Such way the iccgamut can account the
limit exactly as it do colprof/collink. I'm plotting a dependency graph of
gamut from limit value.

Best regards,
Nikolay.