[argyllcms] Crushed shadow details

  • From: xun wang <xun911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 13:52:37 -0400

Hi! I just bought a Colormunki Design and used it to calibrate Dell
3007WFP-HC display yesterday. I bought it mainly because of the ArgyllCMS
support. I tried the original X-Rite software just out of curiosity, The
feature was so bare-bone that it felt lacking. With some tweaking, I now get
much better calibration result from ArgyllCMS+Colormunki(I also use the i1d2
from the correction matrix file referenced from the colormunki) than the
stock one. So big thanks for those ArgyllCMS developers!

Right now the only issue I can tell seems to be crushed shadow details. For
instance on this black level test page
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php ,  I could barely see 8 & 1-7 are
pretty much completely black for me. I also tried using Single Curve +
Matrix for Profile and used the correction matrix with i1d2 to get better
shadows. Shadows improved little bit with i1d2 but the top line from 1-5 are
still pretty much black to me.

I used 6000k & native black point & left "Black output offset" & "Black
point correction" to default. My Uncalibrated/Calibrated reports says the
minimal black is around 0.17cd/m2.

Any suggestions? thanks!

xun