[argyllcms] Re: Creating a null transform output device

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:34:29 +1000

Roger Breton wrote:
Ideally, what I'm trying to do is to find a way to make the printer accept
my device values directly. That's why I'm thinking about a pair of profiles
I could plug into this workflow that creates the equivalent of a null
transform. If such a thing is feasible.

Generally there has to be a way of talking to a device directly,
otherwise the maker of the printer would not be able to profile
it. They may not make it obvious how it is done though.

Would it be possible to create output profile that are not LUT-based? As per
the ICC specs? And have the TRC in those profiles set up linear?

You don't say what colorspace the printer is in. Generally it's quite
difficult to make perfectly complementary CLUT based
A2B and B2A tables, and it's impossible to do this with any
device colorspace with more than 3 inks, since the PCS is
only 3 dimensional. If it's an RGB device, use a gamma/matrix
profile for source and destination. Depending on the implementation,
it should result in something very close to a noop.
(ie. try AdobeRGB or something similar).