[argyllcms] Re: Color errors on < 100% stimulus

  • From: Kristian Jörg <krjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:45:52 +0100

Graeme Gill skrev 2012-02-14 09:09:
The problems I see with SDTV and even HDTV is simply ridiculously small bandwidth. They're packing 4 SDTV channels into one SATV channel, and the result is simply horrible. Blue ray and DVD seem somewhat better.
Yes, that is a problem. In Sweden they have started to encode in mpeg4 which compresses much better. And HDTV in DVB-T2 which also is a better protocol. That enables them to offer HDTV channels in a bandwidth that would not have worked with DVB-T and mpeg2.

Of course the SDTV channels get even more squeezed becouse of this as with mpeg4 you can squeeze in even more channels!
Apparently white LED's also age in a way that changes their color markedly -
they tend to
go off the white locus and into the green. So I'm not sure what that says about
a plan
using white LED's to correct fading blue OLED's...

Ok, I did not know that. We'll se how it fares then. If they know how the color changes over time maybe they can adjust for it gradually in the color management internally. That is what they do with plasmas and the "rising black" issue that plasmas have. As time goes they internally adjust gamma I think.

/Kristian