[argyllcms] Re: Color errors on < 100% stimulus

  • From: Kristian Jörg <krjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:47:29 +0100

Graeme Gill skrev 2012-02-13 14:48:
Kristian Jörg wrote:
But you have a point that TV sets seem to lack the very accurate image quality
that can be produced
in computer displays. And with IPS technology input lag  seems good enough for
gaming too. So why
can't they combine these technologies? Beyond me.
Brightside technology solved the LCD black problem some time ago, and some of
the
top end displays seem to be adopting it. As for motion issues - I don't
notice them myself very much. I tend to notice far more obvious compression
artefacts,
particularly with SDTV transmissions. I do wonder whether some of the sets
over sharpen their signal, thereby reducing the proper motion blur, causing the
appearance of judder/strobe effects.
Oversharpening is common in all consumer TV sets. They are setup by default to shine brighter, with more color and sharper than the next model besides it in the show room. Consumers buy the brightest and most colorful set... Oversharpening does indeed sharpen the artefacts as well, so adjusting sharpening is critical. There are a number of other "image improvers" that does things evil to a good video. Like oversaturating, creating motion flow that is artificial and in itself introduces artefacts such as halos and fuzziness. Disable them!

I looked into Brightside, and they seem to have been acquired by Dolby back in 2007. From what I can understand they use a direct led backlight, also known as local dimming. I.e that you can dim a portion of the screen to complete darkness. This is common from all major LCD panel manufacturers today. The limitations with that technology is that the dimming zones are to few. I think the display with most of them is a about 512 zones. That is far from perfect and when you have bright text againt pure black background it produces a halo since the black in the zone with white text cannot be dimmed. However the all black zones can be pure black. Samsung has a prototype though of a LCD panel called Crystal LCD where there is one illuminating led per pixel. That is interesting indeed.

Video and film quality is very much about handling motion. SDTV is still broadcasted as interlaced, which CRT couild handle well in the old days. But with todays progressive displays it is about creating a progressive frame out of a number of interlaced frames. That is a whole scientific area in itself. Pure film from DVD that is 24 fps can be decoded as progressive with good software, and bluray has 24 fps progressive frames stored by default. So these has the ability to be displayed right. The problem is to convert the 24 fps to 60 (NTSC) or 50 (PAL) Hz that the display has. That may cause judder. Panasonics plasmas handle 24 fps natively with no judder at all. One reason I chosed that tech.
OLED is coming strong now with 55" sets from both LG and Samsung. Maybe that
will be my next TV
technology once it becomes more mainstream.
The idea is right, but they've been "right around the corner" for rather a long
time.
Yes, but these are the two models that *will* be introduced this year at a price tag of about $10000 or slightly below. Still to expensive, but available!
They were introduced at this year's CES show in Las Vegas.
LCD and plasma are still developing and image quality has improved immensly the last few years. OLED may be the king if they can bring the costs down but the winner is not yet crowned. One reason for the problems are that the blue light oled ages much more rapidly than the rest. LG has solved that (they say) by using white OLED and color filters for RGB. Simplified the technology and removes the blue oled aging problem. We'll see in the coming reviews if it holds up to a critical test.

I feel I am wondering off topic here. Sorry! :)