[argyllcms] Re: Argyll-reset and Windows-reset gamma curves

  • From: Ivan Kolesov <ivankolesov64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 14:11:53 +0600

> So it still has a bug. Looking at the source code, the problem is in
> MSWin's XF86VidModeSetGamma() function. xcalib should avoid this
> function and set the lookup values itself.
>
> Of course it's possible that XF86VidModeSetGamma() actually knows the
> hardware
> precision, while SetDeviceGammaRamp() caching the 16 bit values.

Great!

So, again, from the layman's perspective, this means that Argyll's default
curves are correct, while the Windows-set default curves *might* be wrong,
I guess. By the way, do you think this can be tested by checking both cal
files with dispcal -r? It should show the apparent number of significant
bits, right?

Also, there may be no difference between Argyll-set and system-set default
gamma in Linux, and this would prove that the Windows-set curves *are*, in
fact, wrong.

From the practical perspective, can you please confirm that those who
profile their monitors in Windows without prior calibration, should reset
their gamma with Argyll first?