[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.6.3 has been released.

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 10:41:08 +1100

Ivan Tsyba wrote:
> I try to measure printer chart that created by ArgyllCMS 1.4.0 using this
> version and always get "Strip read failed due to misread (Not enough
> patches)". 1.4.0 chartread measure this chart without problem. I'm using
> Colormunki spectro.

> My command: chartread -v -H RGB_210x297_529_1_page(s).ti2
> This ti2 file attached to this message
>
> Something changed between 1.4.0 and 1.6.3 and this cause my problem?

Hi,
        1.4.0 is 6 releases ago, so yes, things may well have changed.

I think the reduction is scan speed by a factor of 3 to 55Hz made in V1.6.1
may have made it less able to be read at high speed, but greatly improved
it's dark patch reading accuracy. There simply aren't enough samples within
the patch itself to clearly distinguish the edges of the patch when
read too fast. If this is the explanation, then there are only a couple
of possible solutions - the simplest is to reduce your reading pace.
The other would be to increase the length of the patches, so that
there are relatively more samples within the patch than over the patch
transitions. I suspect that the overall chart read time would end
up about the same though, at the expense of  more paper used and
strips to read.