[argyllcms] Re: Argyll v4 compliance and 10bitsupport

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:13:51 +1100

Andrés Vattuone wrote:

> 1) Is there any news about the upgrade to v4 color management? If not, what
> bad can the compatibility issues be and how do you handle them?

There are no current plans to support ICC V4 in Argyll. There are no
compelling technical reasons to do so. If you need to deal with
V4 profiles, I'd suggest looking to lcms.

> 2) Does it have 10 bit support and to what extend? If not, are there plans
> to improve it?

It depends what you mean by 10 bit support. By default all profiles and
calibration are 16 bit. If a system supports greater than 8 bit video
Lut entries, they will be used. Support for calibration with > 8 bit frame
buffers is more complex, because in many cases the current system API's
don't allow for the possiblity, so some new API would be needed. It's unclear
what those new API's are on MSWin and OS X. In contrast X11 has supported
different frame buffer depths since its inception.