[arachne] Re: dead list ???

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 01:00:34 -0500

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:45:50 +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

> One problem is that I need the Windows computer for secure HTML and
> java-ridden pages, which I encounter regularly. So I need FireFox or similar
> running to access these.

> To connect Arachne, I would need to unplug the modem from the Win comp and
> connect it to an ethernet board on the DOS comp, as so much of the Win comp
> is plug-n-pray hardware.

Does that DOS computer's NIC have a DOS packet driver ?

If so.....
then there's no reason why Arachne can't use your broardband modem.

Load the DOS packet driver for the NIC
and then use these settings for Arachne.....

--- in arachne.cfg ---
Connection READY
[tcp/ip]
IP_Address WATTCP
IP_Grab IP address set to
NameServer
AltNameServer
Gateway 0.0.0.0
AltGateway 0.0.0.0
Netmask 0.0.0.0
TCPconfig PPPTCP.CFG

--- in ppptcp.cfg ---
my_ip=dhcp
sockdelay=60
hostname=arachne
mss=1600
___________________________

> Much as I like Arachne, her lack of functionality with HTMLS and Java is a
> real problem.

By 'HTMLS' I assume you are meaning HTTPS

And by 'Java' I assume you are meaning java script, not java applets.

And while it is true that Arachne can't do those things...
you do not need to resort to WinCrap for them either.

The DOS build of Lynx v2.8.5.1 can do HTTPS

http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.8.5rel.1-DOSc.zip

And for Java Script, Java applets & HTTPS... Linux SeaMonkey

http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/slackware/slackware-12.2-iso/

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=seamonkey-2.0.2&os=linux

Grab all of the above and get them running.

But, step 1 is.......

deltree c:\windows

<ggg>

--