[arachne] [arachne]Re: Online with ethernet - Rtspkt.com

  • From: "Lester" <fd100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 03:58:13 -0500

1) Make sure that you have the latest version of the driver, v3.40

http://sonic.net/support/nic_drivers/nway/RTSPKT/

2) I included media type switch in the batch file that loads the
driver. It won't do any harm and it might help:

Rtson.bat
RTSPKT.COM 0x60 -M AUTO

3) By loading the driver from the batch file instead of from
Autoexec.bat you can turn the connection to the internet on and off.
This bat will turn it off:

Rtsoff.bat
RTSPKT.COM -U

4) Here are some more tips from FreeDOS forum.

>Lester: How about specifying bus # and device # ?

RTSPKT.COM 0x60 -M AUTO 2 3

>Eric Auer:  I would recommend not to use "2 3", because it only
saves a fraction of a second, maybe even less than a millisecond.
Using autodetection for the PCI thing is better. With the 2 3, the
driver only works when the card is plugged into exactly that PCI
slot. The option only exists to let you manually select one
particular card in a case where several identical cards are
present in the same computer.

>Eric Auer: The 100full versus auto option is a different story:

RTSPKT.COM 0x60 -M AUTO 2 3
RTSPKT.COM 0x60 -M 10FULL 2 3
RTSPKT.COM 0x60 -M 100FULL 2 3

Detection of the availability of duplex and of the line speed may
take a moment (how long?). Only using 10half would be safe, every
other choice can conceivably fail when you have incompatible
hardware on the other end of the line. I think it cannot happen
that devices can do only 100mbps but cannot do 10mbps (but am
not sure about that), so always using 10mbps is safer. And you
probably are in a situation were all other components would
not gain speed from using 100mbps anyway.

>Lester: Does the packet driver "rtspkt.com" load itself
automatically into high memory or should this be done from the
command line?

>Eric Auer: rtspkt does not load itself high, but as with all dma
related drives, it is possible that it even does not work properly
when you load it high manually. Please try... this can also
depend on whether you use emm386 or rather umbpci, and whether you
use the emm386 options novds or vds.

>Bernd: EMM386 is a possible issue with loading packet driver high,
you'd have to try for yourself how packet drivers behave then.

>Lester: I have umbpci in place of emm386  and I kept loading rtspkt
high for the last few days (and then browse/email with Arachne).
Most of the time the driver loaded without problems. However, lately
I have encountered a few freeze-ups after attempting to load rtspkt
high, so unless you are dos memory expert, the recommended method
should probably be to load the driver to conventional memory.

>Lester: I have two files of different size:

rtspkt.com - 9 KB
rtspkt.com - 33 KB

The smaller one was downloaded somewhere from Hewlett Packard website
and the larger one from here:

http://sonic.net/support/nic_drivers/nway/RTSPKT/

The large file probably has debugging code, but who knows. Both show
version 3.40 and load ok.