[arachne] Re: MY VCN ARACHNE.CFG COMPLETE

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, arachne4dos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:36:49 -0500

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:48:30 -0500 (EST), ewalt@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Glenn McCorkle said:

>> Here's the important stuff from Brian's CFG

>> UseTerminal No
>> Autologin No
>> PPPusername bcmurphy
>> PPPpassword PASSWORD
>> IP_Address PPP
>> NameServer 207.102.64.23
>> AltNameServer 207.102.64.3

>> Those are the needed settings which got him connected to VCN

> Hey Glenn,

> For the edification of the masses would you explain **why** that
> got him connected? And further **why** that very same method
> should work in most cases with a dial-up today?

No problem Sam,

I'm more than happy to elaborate.

1st-off ... since about 99.99% of todays ISP do not use either terminal
logins nor login scripts..... both 'usetermianl' and 'autologin'  need
to be set to 'No' in those 99.99% of cases.

2nd.... the PPPusername & PPPpassword are all that is needed by those
99.99% of ISPs which are using PAP/CHAP login method now instead of
the now obsolete terminal/loginscript method.

3rd.... 'IP_Address PPP' tells Arachne to grag your current IP address
from the file PPP.LOG into which that IP address was written during the
PAP/CHAP login via these lines in arachne.cfg

Dialer @miniterm.exe>ppp.log
Connection @epppd.exe>>ppp.log

And last.... but certainly not least....

The DNS numbers are required in-order for us to be able to access
internet sites via thier domain names instead of haveing to use thier
IP addresses.

So to sum it all up....

We need to tell Arachne 4 pieces of information.....

1) username
2) password
3) our current IP address assigned to us by the ISP at login
4) DNS numbers (at-least one... but preferably a second just in case
   the 1st one happens to be 'down' at the moment)

That's it.

It's really just that simple as to what information is required
for any browser (not just Arachne), to get connected to the web.

--
 Glenn
 http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/