[arachne] Graphic Links (was: Linux (was: Working (OT storms brewing))

  • From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:16:58 -0500 (CDT)

Steve,
  Any version 1.0 or 2.0 Links can be compiled with graphics.
It can also be compiled to run graphics on the console using
the svgalib driver or the framebuffer driver, plus it can
be compiled with SDL, and X drivers for X. All one binary.
You can have how many of those you want in it. If interested
also check out the 'Links Hacked Project'. They have their
own version.
Rob:
--

       -----Email by Pine on Slackware GNU-Linux-----

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Steve wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Cristian Burneci wrote:
>
>> ..the graphical Links are from the same category. Lin[ks]
>> does understand a limited JavaScript subset.
>
>  Wow!  I was just looking through the FreeBSD
> /usr/ports/*/pkg-descr, and discovered that modern links
> already comes with graphics capabilities.  Just invoke with
> 'links -g [url]'.
>
>  From your description, I thought it was a separate program
> rather than a built in function.  In fact neither links 0.98
> (the one I have on my Linux box) nor links 0.99 (the one on
> my wife's Linux box) has graphics capabilities.
>
>  In the old days, I might have thought how bloated it is,
> but at 2.8MB, I guess that's not too bad these days for a
> browser that'll run in text mode on the console, and either
> text or graphics mode in X.

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --