[arachne] Re: Google crashes Arachne 1.9

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 06:36:46 -0500

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:00:52 -0400, John Hupp wrote:

> As best as I can figure at this point, the problem was likely confined to
> that particular hardware platform.  With 16MB of RAM installed, it did not
> do well with only 128KB level 2 cache installed on the DTK 486 motherboard.
> Upgrading to 256KB of level 2 cache would probably have made the problem go
> away.

I have no idea why you had problems with Google. I have 1.9 installed
on a 386 with 8MB only and Google works just fine. I'm told that
with 1.9 you need at least a 386 with a math chip for it to work
properly (hence the full name of the release as 1.90JG-387) But
I don't think that's been actually tested. So far all is well.

I use Arachne and this old 386 mostly for email. It's really too
slow for surfing anymore.

The first version I had installed on this computer was .99, an
unoffical release that I stumbled across in a Fidonet echo.