[arachne] Re: A190J1-387 & RELATED PROBLEMS

  • From: destiny2b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:13:53 MST

** Reply to note from "Brian C. Murphy" <BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Wed, 25 Oct
2006 01:20:27 -0400
> A171UE1: What are the fixes for the following problems that mar the
> usefulness of this otherwise nice browser?: 1. Half the time files,
> e.g. ZIP files, fail to download and, instead of  showing you the file
> download screen, shows you an HTML view of the contents  of the file to
> be downloaded?

 In mime.cfg find line below and remove:  -v
application/zip          ZIP>TXT|[300]unzip -l -v $1>$2

-v is verbose display of zip file.  Removal should give you save page.

> 2. The P function does not reliably work to print a text page at a URL.

In mime.cfg find following lines:
file/printprn.dgi    |[100]type _4prt.txt>lpt1
file/printcom.dgi    |print /d:prn\n print _4prt.txt

I modified first line to direct to lpt1 rather than prn.   Use Arachne in os/2
which does not allow direct access to hardware ports.  I click on:
Use Device PRN and prints fine.   In earlier versions had used the print
command but there must have been changes somewhere.
There is also a line commented out:
  ;file/printprn.dgi    |[100]TYPE _*.txt>PRN\ntype formfeed>prn
which adds another request to eject a page.  GlennMcc I believe added that for
some printers.   When you press P for print click on Print
Preview.  Is there text?  If so then there are settings in mime.cfg as above to
be played with.  What type of printer?   Some inkjets are Windoze
only brain dead printers which do not have any processing power in printer.  It
relies on Windoze functions.

> A190J1-387 (The latest of Joe Da Silva's creations): I configured this
> browser today and would appreciate fixes for the following
> problems which it displayed. 1. It works fine to the dial screen and dials
> and connects with the ISP ok.  However, then it will not go to the
> ARACHNE.CZ web site, nor will it go to any  other URL you give it. How do you
> make it go to the designated URL?

Which dialer are you using?  There is lsppp.exe and epppd.exe included.
Depending on the isp have to use 1 or the other.  Some can use both.
Recently was always using lsppp.exe with 1 isp and the past 3 weeks would
behave as you describe.  Switch to epppd and back on the web I
was.   Lsppp parameters are set on 1 line in arachne.cfg, epppd can be set up
via Dialer options.  Can give examples for both if desired.

 > 2. With older versions of Arachne, F5 changes the desktop style to any one
 > of  3 optional styles. How do you change Desktop style
with > A190j1-387?

 F5 here does indeed changes styles here.  In 800x600 have 5 choices.  640 has
less

        Cal