[analogorgans] Re: activity

  • From: "Robert G. Danka" <bobtv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:13:18 -0400

Hi Milt,
It causes the generators to be just a little unstable imitating the natural
unsteadiness of wind supply in pipe organs.  It is a very gentle shaking of the
pitches.  And you really have to listen for it because if you don't know it's
there, you won't hear the shaking.  But it does help the ensemble because it is
entirely random unlike the chorus.  It is so effective though that Walker took
it one step farther by designing a digital activity for the analog organs that
imparted different rates and depths for the individual keyers so flute activity
was different than principal etc.  When Walker would voice an organ that was
the first thing he would add was the activity circuit.  This is an old trick
that dates back to the 110 and 220 era.

Bob Danka