[analogorgans] Re: activity

  • From: Charles Strack <voceumana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:27:49 -0700 (PDT)

No. The switch under the keyboards is for air sound.
It added hiss. Activity was not turned on and
off--only adjusted inside the console with a pot to
have more or less. It did indeed inject random (white)
noise into the bias line of the oscillators to make
them shake in a random pattern.

Over the years Rodgers uses several sources for the
white noise, including reverse-biased electrolytic
capacitors (biased with a very low voltage so they
didn't explode!), a summing bus that pulled the
various loading of all the oscillators. The card Bob
Walker used used a "digital" IC noise source from
National Semiconductor, if I remember right. I don't
care IC source, as it wasn't very random at lower
frequencies.

The activity is close to Allen's "Random Motion
Whind", but Allen's did amplitude modulation, and
Rodgers's did frequency modulation.

Charlie

--- Bernie Arcand <barcand@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So in other words, it's the built in "switch
> selectable pipe organ sound"
> that is switched under the deck of the lower manual
> toward the right hand
> side?
> Bernie

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.