[amc] Re: Whole Foods or Whole Fraud: The Myth Of Organic Foods

  • From: "Micheal J. Mc Evoy" <chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AMC List <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:43:58 -0600

    Ray> It's hard, maybe impossible, to be wholly consistent. One of
    Ray> the values promoted in the article below is local
    Ray> production. I have been challenged on this concept at Ten
    Ray> Thousand Villages. We (10KV) sell heavy pots made in
    Ray> Vietnam--shipped half way round the world. I'm sure there are
    Ray> poor potters in Austin who would not have access to
    Ray> non-profit status, would have a hard time getting a group of
    Ray> volunteers to sell their products, but could truck their pots
    Ray> to S. Congress using a fraction of the fossil fuels needed to
    Ray> ship from Vietnam to Akron, PA, to Austin. Is this fair
    Ray> trade? Or sustainable?

    Ray> This dilemma seems analogous to the affirmative action
    Ray> debate--there are valid concerns on both sides of the
    Ray> argument.

    Ray> Ray

The difference between 10KV and Whole Foods is that the producers that
Whole Foods markets as "Family Farm" are large corporate agriculture
businesses. They are the antithesis of Locally Grown.

With 10KV the producers are small, family operations or village
operations, not large corporations.

Yes there are concerns with fossil fuel use.  And there are
trade-offs, but the differences are more like the corner hardware
store -v- Home Depot.

Shalom,
Micheal
--
Micheal McEvoy                                  St Brigid's Gate Farm
chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                            Mahomet, Texas

Micah4 Consulting -- Appropriate Technology for Sustainable Community

"And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice,
  and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
  -- Micah 6:8