[amc] Tell Congress to Withdraw Their Authorization of War. Act Now!

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Austin Center for Peace & Justice" <acpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 23:26:00 -0600

Action Alert    Center on Conscience & War    February 6, 2003

Congress Could Withdraw Their Authorization for Use of Force Against Iraq,

But Only if You Act Now!

The antiwar mood in Congress, while not overwhelming, seems to be picking up.
It is now our job to keep it rolling. On February 5, 2003, Representatives
Peter DeFazio (D-OR) and Ron Paul (R-TX) introduced a bill intended to withdraw
Congress's approval of the use of military force against Iraq. We must do all
that we can to see that this bill passes.

In addition to the resolutions we alerted you to on February 5 (Senate
Resolution 32, asking the President to require a new vote before the use of
force against Iraq; and House Concurrent Resolution 2, stating the House's
opinion that the Congressional authorization that passed in October 2002
"should be repealed"), CCW was told on February 6 by Rep. DeFazio's office of
House Joint Resolution 20.

Unlike the previous resolutions which admonish the President to act, HJRes 20
would actually repeal the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq
Resolution of 2002, withdrawing Congress's permission for the President to take
any actions he thinks necessary. It would cause the President to have to follow
the War Powers Act, placing a limit on the extent of military force he can use
against Iraq and the time in which he can use it without further Congressional
authorization.

If HJRes 20 goes through the House Committee on International Relations and is
passed on the House floor, it will go to the Senate for a vote. Currently the
resolution has approximately 30 bi-partisan co-sponsors in the House. To go any
further, it needs more support, so ask your members of Congress in both the
House and Senate to approve HJRes 20, in addition to each chamber's respective
bills listed above.

Time is running out with each passing day, so be sure to contact your members
of Congress immediately, and pass this alert on to your friends and coworkers.
Remember, our goal is to flood Congress with calls and letters just like we did
in October so that it is abundantly clear to them and the President that we
still do not support this war, and never will.

Return to Home for Congressional contact information.

Home | About CCW | Programs | Urgent Action Alerts
What's New? | Employment/Internships | Publications | Contact Us!

Center on Conscience & War (NISBCO)
1830 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20009   Tel: (202) 483-2220     Fax:
(202) 483-1246   Email: nisbco@xxxxxxxxxx

GIF image