[amc] Re: Jesus and Jihad

  • From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:57:47 -0500

Nevitt & Ray,

Interesting discussions for us 'listening' people.   From reading the
notes...yes I actually have been reading the whole thing...whew, I think
there is one piece of the puzzle missing.   In all your discussions you
assume the conversation is between those with faith trying to convince
those without faith to change.    What is missing from all this discussion
is what part God plays.   We have stories in the bible of God stepping in
and changing people's lives by having a direct relationship with them.   It
would expect that if we asked  among our community at AMC, we would find
experiences where God has stepped into our own lives and made a difference.
Does God only work in lives of those with faith?   Looking in the bible, we
could say that Paul was one example where God intervened before Paul was
faithful.    My faith does not bring about social change, but my faith
tells me that God can bring about social change using people or any other
resource, including just changing the hearts of those in power. (Paul, as
example again)

For all of us both at AMC and elsewhere, I just pray that we will recognize
and acknowledge when we hear the voice of God in our own lives .  It
certainly does not mean that we become perfect at that time, or that we
stop struggling our normal daily struggles, or that we stop using reason in
our discussions.     I would hope though that in building that one-on-one
relation with God gives us a strong foundation to build our lives.

Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@xxxxxxxxxx
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com