[amc] Re: FW: Swearing an oath

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:58:59 -0600

Michael,

As you can imagine, I have been asked throughout my career to "raise my
right hand." I believe that it is now standard practice for the oath
administrator to ask, "do you solemnly swear, or affirm, to tell the truth,
the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?" I answer, "I
affirm to do my best." I have gotten some stares, but have never been
confronted. The reason I say that is because I have a faulty memory and I
know that what I saw and heard is not exactly what happened.

And, being the troublemake that I am, more than once, when interrupted by an
attorney to answer "yes" or "no," I have appealed to the judge with, "judge,
I promised to do my best to tell the whole truth, and neither "yes" or "no"
is the whole truth.

Ray