[amc] FW: Peace Pieces

  • From: "Kathy Reid" <Kathy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:09:49 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathy Goering [mailto:kathyg@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 5:08 PM
To: Kathy Goering
Cc: Dorothy Nickel Friesen
Subject: Fw: Peace Pieces

To Western District Pastors from Peace and Social Concerns Committee

Peace Pieces

"Peace Pieces" is an effort by Western District Conference's Peace and
Social Concerns Committee to periodically provide WDC congregations with
short, timely peace statements in order to support, inspire and challenge
each other to live according to principles of nonviolence.

***

  a.. "My first wish is to see this plague to mankind [war] banished from
off the Earth, and the sons and daughters of this world employed in more
pleasing and innocent amusements than in preparing implements and exercising
them for the destruction of mankind."
  -- George Washington (1732-1799), letter to David Humphreys, 25 July 1785
  b..
  "The world will never have lasting peace so long as men reserve for war
the finest human qualities. Peace, no less than war, requires idealism and
self-sacrifice and a righteous and dynamic faith."
  -- John Foster Dulles (1888-1959), 9 March 1955
  c.. "At one time, physicians believed in blood-letting as a cure for many
diseases, but they have since discovered better remedies for most of these
disorders. And so must the international blood-letting of war certainly give
place to the discovery of better methods for curing the ills of nations."
The Urantia Book

***

We invite others to suggest quotes for inclusion in Peace Pieces. Please
send suggestions to Duane Johnson, emerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
wdc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

To see past Peace Pieces, click Archives