[amayausers.com] Re: promotional items

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:15:00 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/11/49.html#000006

I disagree with the 'throwaway' comment...because MOST embroidery on the market
today IS throwaway (or GIVEAWAY) like the hats and even keyfobs handed out by
the gazillions at tradeshows and fairs.
For the 2 person shop-it is an EXCELLENT source of income AND will keep your
customers coming back. Why? because if you send your customer to someone else
to get their pens and keychains, that new 'salesperson' is ALSO going to whip
out THEIR EMBROIDERY SUPPLY CATALOG...guess what-we aren't the only ones
selling embroider out here! And, YES, embroider IS just a phone call to a mass
production warehouse...many, many of them!
I have MANY catalogs in here with embroidered items that are so low priced you
will regret trying to sell embroidery on your own...seriously-I can supply
ANYONE with 6,000 stitch embroidered ballcaps for $1.99 RETAIL...you can't even
BUY the blank hat for that price in small quantity. But I don't show these
catalogs to my customers...but if I had a huge order for them, I'd order from
the catalog-because no way do I have time to do 500 or 1000 hats at a time!
I've had the mamay (first the Big Red and now an XT) for over 5 years...and
quite honestly-I sell more 'ad specialty' products per month than I do
embroidery...up here there isn't much market for it. Another shop nearby
specializes in it with a multi head machine...and now HE is branching into
screenprinting and small vinyl sign & banner making-cutting into my territory.
Last week alone I ordered a small pen order ($200 retail) and 50 political
signs ($300) and my NET profit is 40%. Whoever said the average profit is only
  20$ is way off...that is only on a few companies and usually high quantity
orders. Takes the same amount of time to sell 100 keychains as it does
10,000...so the markup on higher quantities is lower. BUT if you get a catalog
from a company that ONLY gives you 20%...think twice about selling for
them...because there are over 10,000 suppliers listed in UPIC alone!