[amayausers] Re: charge for transfer support

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:44:47 -0400

I see nothing at all wrong with having to pay a 'fee' to transfer
service for software.
Think about it...the 'original' owner bought the system and gets free
help and advice, upgrades (for awhile) etc. from the Melco support team.
If they allowed this 'service' to go with the program 'in
perpetuity', then they'd be forced to supply the help for as long as
that program is in use by any future owners of the program.
If you buy a muffler from Midas-there is a lifetime warranty- "FOR AS
LONG AS YOU OWN THE CAR".
Sell the car, warranty is over. Period.
Melco sells you the original program with the machine (usually) for a
good deal less than the 'retail' value of the program in a 'package'
deal. So if you turn around and sell the machine to someone else,
THAT person did not pay Melco a dime yet expects to get full service
and help?
None of the software programs I have in use- Freehand, Photoshop,
etc. offer that-all service and tech support is for the original
owner....no one else.
So anyone buying a USED machine takes it as is-where is as far as
software and programming goes...unless they pay the fee to Melco. In
effect, they are 'buying' a new 'tech support' contract with
Melco....which is fair to everyone.
You pay for what you get....
If I bought a used Amaya off ebay for $2500, for example-someone had
it for 5 months, went bankrupt-had to dump it, whatever...and it came
with all the programs that all of US here paid $thousands for-
wouldn't you be upset to find out if I got the same free tech support
for nothing-that you had to pay for?
And the service techs-they aren't going to go out and work on that
machine for free-because Melco didn't get a dime for repair coverage-
to pay them to go in the field to fix it.
If I did buy a used machine, the first thing I would expect to have
to do is BUY a warranty to service it-the same with program support.
Buying the refurbished ones from Melco when available sound so much
safer...

Roland