[amayausers] Re: WACF question

  • From: Captain Gold <captaingold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:36:08 -0500

I'll answer your questions based on my recent experience and the notes I
have from training. I am by no means an expert, but you definitely want to
talk to someone using an Amaya because other machines stitch out
differently or may need different tweaking.

At 11:46 AM 3/7/04, you wrote:
>Hi y'all, not sewing much these days (really never have) but I am getting
>ready to use my wacf ...any hints and suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I
>save the messages before that dealt with needles (sharp), material thickness
>(8-12), my main questions are .

My notes say to turn bobbin detection off. I know, some Amaya users always
have it off, but I can use mine without any problem 95% of the time,
however it's even in the book to turn off bobbin detect with the WACF.

It's also suggested that you don't use foam caps (I believe because of the
drag on the needle - of course, that's what I started with).

Material thickness of 9 (+/-1).

Change to the raised plate (or if you have it, the winged raised plate).

Raise the presser foot completely, then drop it one "tick". Do this with
the Needle at bottom center.

Change your needle to 80/12 and change needles after doing caps.

Make sure you set pull compensation for your column widths (the other
problem I was having with my caps).

>I have 2 different thickness on my rubber strips..but i dont know why.

Use the thin rubber. Punch a hole near one end (centered) and tie a long
piece of bright string or ribbon to  it - that way you'll never forget to
take the rubber out before you put it on the cap driver.

>Do i really need to adjust my bobbin tightness?

No. But use a new bobbin - if you remove the cap in the middle of a sew you
will probably loose registration.

>Hooping advice would be greatly appreciated.

Snug but not pulling. I found that I was pulling the cap too tightly and
creating drag issues because of that.

>Is it safe to assume my cap driver was adjusted for my machine at the
>factory.

Yes, but there should have been a piece of paper with the driver that says
it was adjusted to your machine.

>As you can see I am much aprehensive about this.
>Any advice you can give me concerning hats will be nice, not limited to the
>above questions.
>Thanks
>Vicki

Make sure the design stitches from the center out, and finish each piece of
the design before moving to the next (i.e., if you're outlining a circle or
block letters, outline each letter right after the letter is stitched.

Order extras (lots if this is your first attempt - I didn't order enough
and have to pick up some more tomorrow morning for the job that's due
tomorrow) - someone told me to put a piece of cutaway over a cap you mess
up to re-use the cap and fine tune - it works well and you don't go through
as many caps that way.

Hope this helps. I was waiting to see if anyone else would answer, as I'm
fairly inexperienced but didn't want you to wait too long.

Connie Bechtel
Wyvern Productions
http://www.wyvernproductions.com