[amayausers] Re: WACF question reply...

  • From: "Rod & Sharon" <springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:27:52 -0700

  Vickie,
  I had to smile when I read all those questions and the tone of being
aprehensive about trying out the hat driver. Why, because Sharon and I went
through the very same process about a year and a half ago.....

  Connie gave you some very good tips and you should take them to heart.
Some of my own experiences may differ from some of the things she has said,
but not by much. It takes some experimenting so plan on commiting some hats
to the great hat hanger in the sky, or as my wife says, you get to wear all
the rejects.. ;-))

  The two peices of rubber stripping are used for different style caps but I
have not seen that it matters which one you use. I use the thin one 99% of
the time for most hats. The one thing that I can tell you about the rubber
strips that does matter is that " there are only two kinds of rubber strips,
the ones that have  been sewen onto the cap and the ones that haven't". I
have long streamers tied onto ours and still forget to take them out prior
to sewing the cap....

  The bobbin tension has not been a problem at all and I would only adjust
it after checking a lot of the other varibles first.

  We have not ,as yet, used 80/12 needles on any of our hats. I may have to
try this to see if there is a difference. I would imagine that this heavier
needle is aimed at strength in penetratating the center seam, but may not
give the best results on small lettering on caps. I keep the speed of the
machine to 600 to 800 sti and have not experienced needle breaks because of
the center seam. We are using 75/11 sharp for hats.

  Be careful NOT to use the laser light for an absolute reference  for
following a given line. I now digitize all my designs so that the first
needle strike goes down in the exact center of the design or, in the case of
hats, I want the first needle strike to be in the center of the seam also.
Watch that first needle strike and adjust  the design to compensate if
necessary before sewing out the entire design.

  Sew the design as loose as you can--Connie was right on with the material
thickness. I sometimes will kick it up to 9 and 10 if the needle is spending
a lot of time around the center seam and then adjust it back to 7--8 while
the machine is running to prevent looping on the thinner material.

  The only time I am  using the side clamps anymore is when using the WACF
to apply a design to the side of a cap, otherwise I have not found that it
makes much difference. Just get the hats on the hoop straight, don't over
stretch them,  just smooth them down over the face and snap the clamp.

  Don't be aprehensive, just have some fun. It may cost you a hat or two,
here and there, but there just is no other way to learn about doing hats.

  I just completed tech training to become a certified tech for the AMAYA's.
The Amaya is an amazing machine for the things it is capable of, but as with
most things mechinacial, it takes the hands on approach to become confident
and efficient..

  Let us know how you are doing....this is a great little group..lots of
knowledge and help just for the asking...go have some fun!!!1

  Rod and Sharon Springer
  Embroidery Cottage
  Boise, Idaho