[amayausers.com] Re: This is your inner voice talking...

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:01:33 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/236.html#000011

The price is great-took awhile for the link to open but the internet must be
bogged down with christmas shoppers today...LOL
There is definitely a difference in hard drives, whether internal or
external-we tear them apart before sending to the recycle shop just for the
magnets-for my sign table-and boy, there are 'stock' magnets and 'super strong'
magnets-the super ones can cause extreme pain if you put one on each side of
your finger. Yup, we tried-the 'stock' ones don't bother you-the 'super' ones
if we put them directly on galanized steel-my wife cannot get them off!
Next ones we tear down I'm going to note the manufacturer's name and start
buying that brand for backup hard drives.
As for storage and longevity-doesn't matter whether you use an internal
secondary drive or external storage drive-they are going to run the same amount
of time and last the same time (comparable brand to brand) because of the same
moving parts. So I'll probably take some time once a year and move the contents
of my Amaya backup to a CD. Then if the hard drive craps out, I can just reload
the Cd and have everything except current files. Doesn't matter how many
redundant backup devices you have-at some point something is going to die-but
the chances of your main drive AND secondary dying at the same time is minimal
at the most.