[amayausers.com] Re: Non-Stop Thread Breaks. Help Quick???!!

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:38:50 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/364.html#000014

Hats were the worst problem we had for a couple years, and NO service tech we
knew of in our area. Had pretty much given up on ever doing hats for profit
until we bought the extended warranty for big red...and surprise
surprise...there WAS a Melco service rep less than an hour away...no one in
Melco ever admitted it or told HIM we were having problems. He came up to do
the yearly 'checkup' and I told him about hat problems so he installed the WACF
frame (we had gotten rid of the newer hat hoops as being useless) and I set up
for the last hat job we had done (I had been sending them out because we
couldn't do more than 1 an hour!) He spotted the problem immediately and slowed
the machine down around 400-500 and told me to watch....as the hat and hoop
rotated, the BRIM of the hat would rub on the back of the needle head, and you
could literally see it being pushed down as the design/sew area got closer to
the brim area. As the brim flexed, the center of the hat panel would MOVE
  a quarter inch or so towards the back of the machine! Then snap crackle
pop...thread break, needle break, design shift...garbage hat.
For temporary fix, he showed me how to 'flatten' the hat brim and bend it down,
like punkers wear it to cover their eyes...for permanent fix, he told me to get
the hat brim holddown attachment-a setup of mini 'bungee cords' that hold the
brim tightly down and away from the needle housing.
It worked! I think the 'fix it' part is less than $15 per hoop (we have 3 of
the WACF hoops) so hats are no longer a problem. I still have yet to do a
single visor, not one-ever! Because no matter how I hoop it-I have less than 1"
of available 'panel' to sew on! But for hats, I do everything from unstructured
low profile to fully structured high profile flexfits.
Roland