[amayausers] Re: Best speed for WACF

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:53:25 -0700

Cheryl and All,

I must step in here, just to clarify something?

Cheryl, did you mean you were told to use a Sharp on caps? Or were you told to use Ball Points, I am hoping you meant Sharps?

The reason I jump in here, is it may depend on the type of material and cap, but most caps are made of heavy materials and structured caps will have the heavy buckram in them. A structured cap, with nice thick woven buckram in it is going to cause needles to deflect and move when going through it. If you have ever seen high speed movies of a needle going up and down and stitching, you would know what I mean. The needle in these films looks like a cooked noodle while it is sewing. A ball needle is designed to push flexible fibers in a garment aside instead of going through them so you do not cut them. This is great for garments where you do not want to go through but around the fibers. But, in a structured hat, the buckram is not flexible, not is the stiff materials most are made of. You want to use a needle that is going to go though the buckram, and the center seam and the heavy cap material with less friction and not deflect side to side when doing so. A ball needle is gong to produce results where the edges of columns are not even and look like the edge of a saw, (small lettering will look terrible) and can contribute to broken needles and thread breaks due to the increased needle deflection. For most caps, even non-structured that are made of a heavy material, it is best to use a sharp needle which will deflect less. It will go through the plastic buckram in structured caps, the heavy materials used in most caps, and all seams easier with less deflection and less heat. Heat = Thread Breaks, and SPM = Heat. So, the faster you sew, the more heat produced, the more thread breaks, etc. The least amount of friction during the sewing process is the most desirable.

One step further is to go to a Titanium Coated, Sharp needle. The Titanium coating reduces friction which produces less heat, it keeps the tip of the needle sharper longer, and as Titanium is a hard coating, it adds to the stiffness of the needle so there is less needle deflection which is going to produce sharper edges on small lettering and detail in design, and fewer thread and needle breaks. Organ calls their Titanium coated needles the PD which stands for Perfect Durability.

I hope I have not stepped on some one at Melco who feels a ball is better on caps, but I think if you talk to people who have been doing this a long time, the people who make the different needles, and to the people who make a living doing embroidery, most will agree that a sharp needle is going to produce better results more efficiently on most caps.

Jeff Banks
Melco Embroidery Systems

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cheryl Rotter" <tsiemb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>