[amayausers] Re: # 30 Thread

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:30:44 -0500

If you're not sure as to whether or not the needle is the correct size for
the thread, do this...
Take a length of thread, say about two feet or so, and thread the needle.
Hold each end of the thread in each hand and let the needle hang free.  Now,
hold one hand higher than the other and then alternate.  The needle should
slide freely and smoothly down the thread in both directions.  If the needle
bounces, jumps, or hangs up, the eye of the needle is too small for that
size of thread, regardless of what size it is.  Remember, on average, the
same spot on a length of thread will pass through the eye of the needle
approximately 40 times, at a very high rate of speed, before it finally gets
laid down on the fabric.  The word to remember here is "friction".  The less
the better.
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes
E.M. Broidery