[amayausers] Re: 0.18" lettering help.

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:46:59 -0600

Veena,

 What garment type? Sounds like pique knit? What "recipe" is being  used.
"Recipe" meaning backing, topping, thread type, thread weight, size of
needle etc.

 If it is a pique knit or similar material topping such as solvy will help
to hold on top. Also, underlay is important. Underlay will help to give a
foundation for the stitches to sit on top of. Sometimes a center walk only
is not enough. Are you using a stock alphabet or making your own lettering?
Is it a block type where you can add some column width, then use an underlay
such as a Double Zig Zag, with a Edge Walk and have them set so the Zig Zag
just fits in between the edge walk lines, and the density of the Zig Zag so
it actually covers the top well, then the density of the top stitches so
that they are just enough to cover and look good. Usually in that size a
density of 5 or higher is good. Also, at this size, 60 weight thread is best
with a 65/9 needle. Regular 40 weight thread is just too large in diameter
to give a nice clean sharp looking edge at that small of size. This is one
recipe, there are other methods as well. If it is possible, sometimes
putting down a fill and the lettering on top of it is good if it fits the
look of the design. I have seen a fill used that is the same color as the
fabric of the garment so it is not noticeable, then the lettering sewn over
it and it looks real good also.

 Send me the design, I can look at it here if you would like.

 Jeff Banks
 Melco Embroidery Systems