[ai_group] sending e-mail

  • From: "David Garner" <dgarner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ai_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:37:57 -0500

John,

I noticed your e-mail query in the BCX group.  I've also looked at Blat.
The source is available and it's pretty easy to understand (if you know
what you're looking for) as I recall.

I did an e-mail sending thing at work.  It's pretty easy.  Let's see
what I remember.  Na, I'll go look it up.

You can get blat from:

http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/blat.html

I just did.

(You can check this out from telnet.  Just open port 25 and enter the
commands by hand.)

Open a connection to the mail server on port 25.

The mail server answers with a short message and expects you to say:

HELO

I just tested it on my ISP's mail server.  It wanted a domain name after
helo.  I put my server's domain.  I think this is to prevent forwarding.

Then you put the from address - it's spelled like:

MAIL From:

Then you put the list of recipients:

RCPT To:

I think there has to be a space after the colon before the addresses.

Then you tell it you are going to start the message:

DATA

Then you put the message text on how ever many lines you need.

The last line is a dot by itself.

.

I think you can then drop the connection and the message will be sent.

My server allows:

quit

My server also has a pretty impressive help.

Hope this helps you some.  I'm no expert, but I've done this before and
I know it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

David Garner