[adaptivetec] Re: eed replacement for parrot

  • From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <adaptivetec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:01:02 -0700

Two options come to mind, but only one passes the test of being truly portable:

1. Invest in a cell phone which can support one of the two cell-phone oriented screen readers. The screen readers are Talx and MobilSpeak, and I believe that you can use TMobil, Singular, and perhaps one other cellular service to access these screen readers. This technology would give you access to a phone book, calendar, and very likely a calculator.

For info on Talx:
http://www.nuance.com/talks/phones.asp

For info on MobilSpeak:
http://www.optelec.com/braille-speech/products-solutions/accessable-cell-phone/mobile-speak

2. The other thought that comes to mind is to use a notetaker if you've got one. And, as I've already said, that probably doesn't work ideally because you can't just throw it in a pocket.

Perhaps others on the list, who have used the parrot in the past, will offer additional alternatives.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marigold Meriweather" <wildthread@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>