[access-uk] Re: scanner which is best

  • From: "Yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:59:19 -0000

Derek, I'm slightly confused by your message. Are we talking about a stand
alone reading machine or the OCR software that goes on a standard computer?
If the latter you will need to buy a separate scanner as well as the
software.

As someone else has already said K1000 takes over control of the speech
unless you specifically tell it that you want the screenreader to have
control. If you do this though I think you will looze some of Kurzweill's
functionality. I can't really advise on Braille as I've never used K1000 in
conjunction with a Braille display, no doubt if you contacted Kurzweill
Educational systems or Sight and Sound who are their receller in the UK they
could answer your question.

As to scanners I think that most epson scanners are fine, the optic
(apologies for the spelling) is quite a popular one too. This is with K1000
as I am not familiar with Open book.

HTH
Yusuf