[access-uk] Re: e-mail virus

  • From: leverclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:49:58 +0100

Hi Juston, although it costs about $39, FireTrust Benign has done the trick
admirably for me:
I use Benign with MailWasher Pro, Jaws 5 and Eudora 6.
Once you have purchased it they will email you a password; about 7 lines long!
The programme is extremely simple to use.

Download at:
http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/nickbolton/benign/benign.exe

From their site:

"About Firetrust Benign

 > Total e-mail security

Benign® provides e-mail users with a pro-active solution that eliminates all
e-mail borne threats, both known and unknown. Protecting users from real-world
attacks by removing any potentially harmful code that an e-mail may contain,
Benign recognises harmful attachments, e-mail worms, non-standard HTML, scripts,
web bugs and other e-mail borne threats, rewriting the message to produce an
entirely safe e-mail.

 > Why was Benign developed?

In recent years security has become a huge problem for e-mail software and
e-mail service providers. Security problems are routinely found in standalone
e-mail software such as Microsoft's Outlook and Outlook Express, with patches
being issued literally every month. Users and IT managers who do not religiously
upgrade their desktop as soon as these patches are released are then vulnerable
to real-world attacks, risking infection of a worm or virus.

The impact of recent virus attacks has somewhat overshadowed the steady growth
of other security threats such as scripts, web bugs and other malicious code.
Components of such threats exploit the vulnerability of many e-mail programs,
allowing infected attachments to run automatically and delete or modify files,
or give an outside user access to confidential information and passwords stored
on your machine. Firetrust has now created Benign, protecting users

 > How does Benign work?

Users simply import their mail account settings into Benign ? which then acts
as a proxy, intercepting e-mail before their e-mail client, removing potential
security threats. Sitting quietly in the users system tray, Benign intercepts
the users e-mail and fully decodes each message, instantaneously stripping
out dangerous or malicious code. Benign then rewrites the e-mail without the
harmful content, allowing a safe interpretation by the users mail program
and leaving the original appearance of the e-mail unchanged.

 > Features and benefits of using Benign

1. Benign?s unique decoding process produces totally safe e-mail, stopping
viruses, scripts, web bugs and harmful attachments from running. Protected from
all security threats, users can confidently utilise e-mail with peace of mind ?
knowing their actions are not being viewed or logged.

2. There is no need to update! Benign fully rewrites each e-mail and removes
any malicious code it may contain, effectively removing both known and unknown
security threats. Benign gives users unparalleled protection from destructive
e-mail borne threats, unlike many update-required-programs that frequently
leave systems vulnerable to attack.

3. Benign works extremely quickly and doesn?t slow e-mail retrieval down. Once
set up, you don?t even know it?s there! Benign picks up your messages before
your e-mail program does and safely neutralises any harmful content before it
reaches your computer.

4. Benign?s useful reporting function allows users to view logged e-mail that
have been neutralised. Users can issue a comprehensive report showing e-mail
attachments that have been stripped, non-standard html and other security
hazards that have been removed.

5. With fully customizable configuration options, users have total control over
their e-mail security. Users can select from three preset levels of security
that are further customizable, or they can choose to configure their own
security levels. Users have the flexibility to control behaviour such as blocked
and renamed attachments, remove HTML, adjust privacy features and much more.

6. Benign is an entirely independent application that does not depend on any
central functionality ? so there are no scalability issues.

7. Benign is compatible with the POP3 protocol, the most common way to access
e-mail.

 > What makes Benign unique?

The string of recent virus attacks has impacted hugely on the productivity and
profitability of many businesses around the world. Until now, there has only
been update-based anti-virus software available, leaving many systems
vulnerable to attack from the time a new virus is released, until the time it is
reported and anti-virus companies issue an update for their users. Firetrust?s
Benign, a fresh and intelligent approach to anti-virus software gives users
unparalleled security by removing both known and unknown threats. Using
advanced technology far ahead of its peers, Benign is the superior e-mail
security
solution for the privacy and security conscious."

Deon