[access-uk] accessible program for .mobi files?

  • From: "goshawk on horseback" <goshawk_on_horseback@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BCAB Discussion List" <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:37:47 +0100

hello all,
does anyone know of any window-eyes accessible software for reading .mobi
files?
as in typical RNIB mismanagement fashion, the super easy to use .doc and
newsreader format is being discontinued as part of there take over of tnauk,
and the html versions as one of the formats set to replace it, A can't be
downloaded, and B is very tedious to navigate. the only other options are text,
which is going to be even worse, epub, which to the best of my knowledge isn't
a very usable format with screenreaders, (although I am not 100% sure that is
the case), and this new and to me unknown .mobi format. out of the 3 bits of
software I have managed to find for this format, Mobipocket ebook Reader,
Stanza Desktop, and calibre E-book reader, I could only get the calibre one to
actually download, and that seems to be a dead loss access wise.

Simon