[access-uk] .smil files

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:16:54 +0200 (CEST)

Talking of dodgy formats, RNIB sent me a book composed of .smil files. These
are a kind of XML file containing multimedia, I believe. RealPlayer will open
them, but then there are loads of syntax errors. Lawdy, all this to read a
book? I don't have a clue what the syntax errors actually are, so maybe there's
some kind of test program that will show them up?

Any clues, anyone.

Vince.

Message Received: Apr 10 2014, 12:36 PM
From: "goshawk on horseback"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BCAB Discussion List" , VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] accessible program for .mobi files?

hello all, does anyone know of any window-eyes accessible software for reading
.mobi files? as in typical RNIB mismanagement fashion, the super easy to use
.doc and newsreader format is being discontinued as part of there take over of
tnauk, and the html versions as one of the formats set to replace it, A can't
be downloaded, and B is very tedious to navigate. the only other options are
text, which is going to be even worse, epub, which to the best of my knowledge
isn't a very usable format with screenreaders, (although I am not 100% sure
that is the case), and this new and to me unknown .mobi format. out of the 3
bits of software I have managed to find for this format, Mobipocket ebook
Reader, Stanza Desktop, and calibre E-book reader, I could only get the calibre
one to actually download, and that seems to be a dead loss access wise.   Simon