[access-uk] Re: Unified English Braille (UEB) A QUESTION

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:14:06 +0100

Because that actually wouldn't solve quite a few of the problems that UEB
does, like each print symbol having one braille representation, each braille
symbol having a definite print representation, and so on. Take our braille
brackets, for example(s)! or should that be exampleggsgg! And how can you
distinguish between when to back translate to open or close paren? There are
many more example(s) of when our braille lets us down for back translation,
and this really is becomming more and more important to a larger percentage
of braille users. And the ability to get an idea of what is going on with
all the different print brackets and quotes when translated into braille is
another, that's just the start!

Though the majority of visually impaired people as a whole is older and
might not be so bothered, when we are only talking currently a few thousand
braille readers max in the country, we really need a system that stands up
to as many tests as possible, then it's easier to teach, learn, produce and
decode. We actually need to realise that UEB would mean more braillists,
more demand for braille, and it be seen as easier to produce and less
expensive! If we leave things as they are, braille usage will continue to
decline, especially in schools, and that is the future. When the current
readers are no longer with us, will there be enough demand for braille to
continue? Quite possibly not, though I do hope that is wrong as I want
braille to flourish whatever the outcome of this. I'm not on BAUK so my only
actual say in this is by filling in the questionaire, which I will do, but I
personally am in favour of UEB. I know so much about it because I did used
to be on BAUK and have followed what is going on since I came off many years
ago now!

Cheers
Dave