[access-uk] Re: Ultracane! Do I have a possible collectors item here?

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:41:37 +0100

Jackie,

You just want to wear leather ! Don't need a bike for that!

I like the sound of the heavy duty cane.  Can an electrified version be
purchased? 25 - 50 thousand volts should do it!

By the way, the UltraCane can withstand a few knocks.

Cheers

Dave Ankers

Hi Amro

I use an Ambutech long cane which is thicker and, in my view, much more
sturdy than the Ultracane.  Put it this way, someone's legs feel it if
you belt them with it!!

I tried the large roller ball tip on the Ultra as well, but I still
didn't feel it justified the outlay for the gadget itself.  I've had
people knock my cane out of my hand, and I would imagine that if someone
was using an Ultra, it would smash when hitting the ground in that
scenario.  I also hold the cane very loosely in my hand, and the
wrap-around of my hand and specific positioning of my thumb to cover the
sensors on the Ultra just didn't feel right to me.  My dream would be an
all weatherproof, all singing, all talking bike that I could ride with a
platform to carry my kit on it, and shock-absorbing fittings to protect
my back when I crashed it!!! Wicked!!!

Jackie Cairns
 Braille Support Adviser
 Email: Jackie.Cairns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing  Summerhouse Road  Moulton Park  Northampton
 NN3 6WD
 Telephone: 01604 798024
 Fax: 01604 798090
 Web: www.sightandsound.co.uk