[access-uk] Re: Ultracane! Do I have a possible collectors item here?

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:14:19 +0100

About 4 years ago, there was a device in the STates sponsored by the NFB called "THe traveller". Thhis device hunground the neck with the unit on your chest. THe neck strap contained 3 vibrating pads one on each side of your neck and one at the back. WHen an obsticle was dectected directly in front of you, the pad on the back of your neck would vibrate, and the closer to the obsticle, the stronger the vibration. Similarly if there was an obsticle to your left or right, the correspondind pad would vibrate. This device was to be used in combination with a long cane. THere was also a compass facility which you could set say, if you were walking across a completely open space so that the device would let you know if you were drifting of course . I have not heard anything about this now for several years so have no idea if it is still being made. The problem with the original ones though was that they were not waterproof. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>