[access-uk] Re: Slightley off topic.

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:32:02 +0100

Hi Jim,

I plan to do this myself when I have time, and so saved the
following from another list.

George.

'Tis indeed very easy. Here is just one way, there are
others. Let us assume you have the following:

        *       Music Match JukeBox www.musicmatch.com
        *       A GOOD Sound Card
        *       A Stereo Turntable connected to a Stereo set
        *       A wave-editing program, such as Cooledit
www.syntrillium.com

It is important to ensure your vinyl disks (records, LP's,
whatever...) are
clean and dry before use. If they are dirty, wash them in
clean, tepid tap water (use a wee bit of dish-washer liquid
if you have to). It is best to not get the label wet. Dry
the record thoroughly using a soft, lint-free cloth. It goes
without say to hold the record by its outer perimeter and
not put greasy fingers all over the grooves.

Ensure the stylus (the thin, usually diamond-tipped thingy
at the end of the tone arm is clean and not full of fluff.
Exercise great caution here, you could destroy this
expensive item if you're not careful. If you do need to wipe
it clean, use a junior paint brush or something similar, and
GENTLY wipe TOWARD you, along the axis of the stylus.

The Turntable should be connected to the appropriate input
of the Stereo, usually marked MAG P/U (or M/C, etc). This
assuming you are using a Magnetic cartridge and not the
older, obsolete Crystal type P/U. If you are using a crystal
p/u, then connect this to the AUX I/P of the Stereo.

The Stereo in turn connects from it's LINE (or TAPE OUT,
AUX) Output to the LINE Input of your Sound card in the PC.
Under NO circumstances should you take a lead from the
Stereo Loudspeaker/s to your Line I/P, this will simply fry
your Soundcard! The cable required here is either easily
made up comprising one pair screened audio cable with a
Stereo Mini-Jack one end, and two RCA Jacks the other. You
should be able to buy ready-made leads.
This cable should not exceed about 3 metres in length, as
this could start degrading the audio signal.

Now start the recording: The music should be heard playing
on the stereo set.
Start MMJB. Click on the OPTIONS tab and select Recorder.
Scroll down to Source, then select LINE IN.

Double-click on the audio (VOL) icon in your sys tray, near
the clock bottom right of the computer. The Windows Mixer
should pop up on your screen. Click on OPTIONS, select
PROPERTIES, and click on the "ADJUST VOLUME FOR RECORDING"
checkbox. Check also that LINE-IN is checked in the list
below this. Click OK, and now check that the Line In option
is active.
Adjust the volume control to approximately 50 to 60%. The
sound should change accordingly on your PC speakers. This
setting is critical: Too many people think the louder the
better, in fact the audio simply clips and distorts if the
Input volume level is set too high. The value of your
recording will be lost in this case.

On MMJB, now select the RECORD button which will open the
Recorder.
Set the
title for your LP in the right hand pane. Restart the
turntable from the beginning of the record, press the RECORD
button, and MMJB should now indicate it is recording the
music you want. You can record the LP in one go or do it
track for track. There are facilities available which will
split the tracks appropriately, one such program being
LP-Ripper available from here:

http://www.cfbsoftware.com/lpripper/lpripper.htm

Points to remember: Set your MMJB settings to save the
recorded file in whatever format you wish - if you want to
edit it for pops & cracks, save it to a wav file. It would
be wise to make plenty of space available on your hard drive
for the wav file, and you should defrag the drive as well.
Otherwise, if you elect to save directly as an MP3, set the
bitrate at 128kb/s or, for better quality, 160kb/s (or
preferably even higher for better quality results).

Should you wish to edit your file, then I would recommend
CoolEdit, which is probably the best wave-editing s/w
available. If you have a registered version of Cooledit, you
can use it directly and dispense with MMJB.
Cooledit has plug-in filters available for removing hiss,
pops, cracks etc, but be careful here, as too much cleaning
results in sterile & unnatural sound.

That's about it; there are, of course, other means of
achieving the same end result, and no doubt others will
write in with their suggestions.
Read
them all and go for whatever suits you best. Roxio includes
a simple wave editor with their software, I have never used
it so cannot report on how effective it is. My own
recordings are made using Cooledit which, although expensive
(and especially here in SA!!) is absolutely worth every cent
if you're serious about your music. For the record, I have
some 2000 LPs of various sorts, and have only started
ripping about 50 songs so far.
It
takes ages to clean the files up using software, which is
why it is very important to start off with as clean a sample
as possible.

In conclusion, you can use the same method to record from
Tapes.
Cooledit
will remove hiss from tape recordings, but be aware - too
much hiss removal results in an unnatural sterile sound.
Leave a bit of hiss in the final recording for more
authenticity!

Happy recording!!

that
> will play his LP's through his HI-Fi system and wants to
> transfer them to his computer
> then into MP3 format to go onto a CD. I know this has
> probably     been
> covered in the past, but as usual, if it doesn't pertain
> you at the time the information came in, it wasn't saved.
> What does he need in the way of leads and software to
> accomplish this task?
> How would he do this, preferablely in step by step
instructions.

> He has XP home, with Jaws 6.2 and Nero burning software.
>
> Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Jim
>
> MSN Address:
> jim.doc@xxxxxxxxxxxx