[access-uk] Re: RNC documentary

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:46:41 +0100

My goodness, Terry.  Something we agree on.

As I said on another list, it was a TV documentary, and so
we need to bear in mind the old reporter's adage which says,
"never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

As a sighed viewer, with over 25 years in this business, I
personally thought it was one of the very much better I've
seen in a long while.

We saw a renegade who will make a fortune of they ever
revise, "What was the week that was".  He played the piano
without a wrong note, and seemed to compose the lyrics
virtually on the fly.

We saw a guy who had left home for the first time, and whose
sandwich making impressed his whole family. (about 6 of
them, including mum and dad).  Life skills the college had
taught him.  Big deal maybe, but it was abundantly clear
that up until then, dear mother had done everything for him.

And we saw a sad case of an incredibly attractive girl,
facing the reality of an eye operation to try and at least
give her some light perceptive.  I almost felt her pain when
they were taking her into theatre.

My personal conclusion was that if Royal National College
wanted a video to help their fund raising efforts, this was
it.  Good on them, they deserve it.

I've been to RNC many times (albeit as a supplier) and I do
believe the college is not just committed to vocational
courses, but go that extra mile to helping give students
that "real world" perspective.

George.=20