[access-uk] Re: Problems programming with speech

  • From: Brendan Magill <brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:25:36 +0100

Hi Barry,

This is indeed a very interesting problem and one for which, I fear, there may be no easy solution.

I worked as a programmer myself for some thirty years. Fortunately, I had sufficient vision to be able to do this, although slowly, reasonably effectively. In the early days of the late 1960s, all programs were written out by hand; there were no screens and not even any teletype terminals. So programs had to be written out in pencil, then punched into cards or tape and then printed on the computer for checking. The checking process was certainly visual, and thus slow for me. However, it was doable.

When first teletypes and then VDUs became available in the early 1970s, things actually got a bit better for me. This was because I could type and did not have to write in pencil any more. The process of writing, editing and checking programs thus became much quicker and easier for me, even reading with a hand lens.

However, particularly with the advent of Windows, computer programming, like many other workplace activities, has become increasingly visual. All of the tools used by programmers are visual and rely heavily on visual activities and visual indicators to facilitate them. As you have identified, even the most basic tools for managing code written in text format have become visual. Because vision is a parallel sense, whereas hearing, certainly when listening to text, is serial, it is inevitable that it will take you considerably longer to read a program text. This in turn makes it increasingly difficult to retain sufficient information in your mind to be able to check things quickly or reliably. Even with a braille display, these processes are by no means straightforward.

I'm no expert on programming using a screenreader and I suspect there may be a diminishing number of people out there who are experts in this field. One thing I would recommend is that you select tools which are as basic as possible. So, for example, when writing or reading a program text, use a very basic text editor which does not have any of the fancy visual stuff that your fellow students will be using; this will minimize what the screenreader has to say. Sadly, for reading symbols and strange words, which are often used for variable and function names, you probably have no alternative but to read them character by character. People do tend, too, to use variable names which are very similar, so this makes it that much more improtant that you read every character. In code you write yourself, you can probably do much better, since you can choose your own variable names and use spaces to split things up a bit.

This would make an excellent topic for discussion within BCAB. There must be people there who will have experience of the sort of thing you are trying to do.

Sorry this may not have been of much direct help, but maybe it will prompt others to come up with real working strategies.

Cheers,

Brendan.

--
BRENDAN MAGILL