[access-uk] Mibile Phones and Low Vision

  • From: Brendan Magill <brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Access-uk <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:47:22 +0100

Hi everyone,

    We hear a great deal about mobile phones that talk, but little to
nothing about ones with good displays.  I wonder does anyone have any
thoughts on this subject.

    I've got a very old Motorola phone with an LCD display, but it does
have a nice keypad.  I've recently been trying to find a replacement
which will have an equally good keypad, but a much better display.  The
best one I've seen to date is the Samsung D410, which has a clear and
good-sized screen and good control of font size.

    I have a contract phone from Vodafone, but they can't supply that
particular Samsung and they have no reasonable alternative.  I'd like to
stick with Vodafone if I can as I've been with them for nearly ten
years.  I therefore need to find a "box only" phone that meets my needs
and into which I can put my existing SIMM card.  I don't mind buying the
new phone, though not at the £350 being charged by The Link for the D410.

    I don't want a talking phone as I can still use the display if it is
good enough.

    Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

       Thanks in advance,

          Brendan.

--
BRENDAN MAGILL