[access-uk] Re: Kindle

  • From: "Kevin" <drewdog2060@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 12:40:00 -0000

Hi Neil

That is really helpful.

Cheers,
Kevin

-----Original Message----- From: Neil Jarvis
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 11:03 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Kindle

Hi,

Just two small corrections which might hopefully make your enjoyment of the
Kindle even greater.

1) You don't need sighted assistance to select a title, though its easy to
understand how you might have that idea to start with.
You do need to switch on VoiceGuide from the Kindle's menu system: its a
once-only procedure which you'll need sighted assistance for, but once done,
you can navigate your titles on the Kindle with speech. Note: don't confuse
VoiceGuide with the Text To Speech reading facility you already know about:
they are separate features, so you're halfway there.

2() You don't need to transfer titles from your PC to the Kindle via USB:
although of course there's nothing wrong in doing that if you wish to. Far
easier though, in my view, is to have the title sent directly to your Kindle
at the time of purchase. You do,  as you say, need to do the purchasing from
your PC, but when you do, one of the options is to have the title sent
wirelessly to your Kindle. The Kindle will use the WhisperNet connection
either via WiFi or 3g (depending on which model you have). Of course, if you
only have the WiFi model and you don't have a WiFi connection to the
internet I guess you'd have to use the USB method, but I can't personally
see the advantage of not having the 3g version since it won't cost to
download the titles you buy via 3g.

All the best,

Neil

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin" <drewdog2060@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>