[access-uk] Re: How good is the KNFB reader

  • From: "Terry Clasper" <terry.clasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:36:03 -0000

Barry.
I'm not going to get into the pricing and value for money stuff here as thats
not what you have asked about.
I've been using the KNFB Reader for around a year now and frankly wouldn't be
without it.
Its great for exactly the situations you talk about, I regularly find myself in
meetings and get stuff chucked at me that I have to quickly read. For example
just last month I was at a Business Link meeting and got a three page A4 doc,
KNFB scanned it almost perfectly in seconds and I listened to it using
headphones on my N82.] Made notes on the content as I went along on my pacmate
then within around three minutes could interact with the content.
amazing freedom!
Additionally I regularly use it to scan socially orientated stuff for example
my wife ( whuo is also blind) and I regularly go out for meals, and I have
happily scanned menus (although these can sometimes be tricky) bills etc giving
us amazing independense.

Finally (hope your not getting the wrong impression of me) I regularly scan
bottles of wine, tins food packets etc  to find out what they are.

So all in all a fantastic product made even more so because it lives on the
phone which I carry with me, which actus as my internet connection, GPS
product, oh and of course enables me to chat and text people. Almost forgot
thats the purpose of the mobile!!!