[access-uk] Re: Freedom Scientific suit against GW Micro

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:59:00 +0100

Hi,

FS are on new ground this time as they are dealing with software
patents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent_debate

This is quite an interesting article, and there are lots of issues and
places in the world where these don't actually have any legal standing
currently - though the US is not one.

I am disappointed with FS only in that by doing this they are trying to
cripple the competition in my opinion, and I believe that competition in
the AT industry is one of the things which makes things progress - if FS
or GW Micro had the monopoly on the market, I don't believe that there
would be as many new features or enhancements - I deal with banking
products at work which haven't changed in years, simply because everyone
is using the one specific product, and there is no innovation there to
move things on.

Andrew.