[access-uk] Does anyone know the Outlook Express settings for a yahoo mail account please

  • From: "alex-acts2v4" <alex-acts2v4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:16:59 -0000

Hi all,

for various reasons I have had to try to set up a yahoo E-mail account.

yahoo customer care were very helpful with 90% of it but they sent me the settings for Outlook rather than Outlook Express 6.

If anyone knows the settings I need (I've already got the servers, what I need to know is which settings apply to me.

the following is what I was sent for "outlook" does anyone know what the differences are for OE.

"Hello,

Thanks for writing to Yahoo! UKIE Customer Care.

Microsoft Outlook 2002/XP allows you to add a new email account to your
existing profile. This means that you do not have to replace your
current settings in order to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages.

To configure your POP settings for Microsoft Outlook 2002/XP, follow
these steps:

1. From the "Tools" menu, select "Email Accounts". You may have to click
the arrows.

2. Select the radio button next to "Add a new e-mail account" and click
the "Next" button.

3. Select the radio button next to "POP3" and click the "Next" button.

4. Enter the following information:

* User Information

- Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in
the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
- E-mail Address: Enter your full Yahoo! Mail address (for
example, "user@xxxxxxxxx").

* Server Information

- Incoming mail server (POP3): Enter "pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk".
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): Enter "smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk".

* Login Information

- User Name: Enter your Yahoo! ID (your email address without
the "@yahoo.co.uk").
- Password: Enter your Yahoo! password.

5. Do not check the box next to "Log on using Secure Password
Authentication (SPA)".

6. Click the "More Settings" box and select the "Outgoing Server" tab.

7. Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires
authentication".

8. If you would like to keep a copy of your email messages on the Yahoo!
Mail server, select the "Advanced" tab. Check the box next to "Leave a
copy of messages on the server".

9. Click the "OK" button.

10. Click the "Next" button on the Email Account Wizard, then click
"Finished".

IMPORTANT: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires Authentication. To turn
this setting on, follow these steps:

1. Click "Tools" then select E-mail Accounts

2. Select "View or change existing email accounts and click "Next".

3. Select your Yahoo! Mail account and click the "Change" button on the
right.

4. Click the "More Settings..." button in the bottom right-hand corner
of the Email Accounts window.

5. In the Internet E-mail Settings window, click the "Outgoing Server"
tab. Ensure that the box is checked next to "My outgoing server (SMTP)
requires authentication".

6. Click the "Advanced" tab and ensure that you have not selected "This
Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" under the incoming (POP3) or
outgoing (SMTP) port settings.

To control deletion of messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server, follow
these steps:

1. From the "Tools" menu, choose "E-mail Accounts".

2. Select the radio button next to "Add a new e-mail account" and click
the "Next" button.

3. Double-click the Yahoo! account.

4. Select the "Advanced" tab.

5. In the "Delivery" section at the bottom of the window, check "Leave a
copy of messages on server" if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail
messages on both the Yahoo! Mail server and on your local computer. If
you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server after
you have received them in Outlook, do not check this box.

As you mentioned that your wife was also having difficulties
registering, if she would like to ring us to set up an account we can be
reached on 020 7131 1000 between 9.30 am and 5.00 pm.  If you contact us
between these times and ask for Beth I will be able to assist you in
setting up a Yahoo! ID.

Regards,

Customer Care - Yahoo! UK & Ireland"

Thanks in advance for any pointers.